St George's Hall

Elizabeth Ann OWTRAM: artist

No image available

Not On Display

About the work

St George's Hall was built as a theatre in 1879 by the legal partners of Stone and Burt on land adjacent to their offices in Hay Street, between Pier and Irwin Streets. The design of the Greek columns and pedimental facade was the work of one of the colony's early settlers, Herry C Prinsep. It was built by David Grey. The theatre was opened on 4th December 1879 with a gold performance of Dion Boucicault's Irish play, "The Colleen Baun", It was frequently used for public entertainment in the 1880s and 90's but languished after the Theatre Royal was built in 1897. It was taken over by the government and used as offices for the government lithographer until in 1980 it became the premises of the Child Welfare Department
St George's Hall
Artist/Maker and role
Elizabeth Ann OWTRAM: artist
c 1890
watercolour on paper
13.7 x 22.9 cm
Credit line
Purchased through the Geoffrey William Robinson Bequest Fund, 2001
The State Art Collection, The Art Gallery of Western Australia
Accession number

This is one of the watercolours in our collection.